I am on a visa and my partner is violent. What can I do?

If your partner was violent to you and you left, you may be able to stay in Australia.
You may be able to stay even if you are not with your partner any more.
Ask a lawyer to explain the law and to help you.

I’m worried my kids aren’t safe to use their phones or computers, what do I do?

If you think your kids might be experiencing technology abuse, talk to them about technology safety.

If you think someone is using your kids' phones and computers to harass you, talk to someone about it.

You can call 1800Respect (1800 737 732) for help making a safety plan for you and your kids.

I think someone is bullying me on my phone or social media. What should I do?

If you are being bullied or threatened on your phone or online, you can talk to someone at 1800 Respect. Call 1800 737 732.

Domestic violence is happening to one of my workers. What do I do?

If someone is in danger now, call police on 000.
If your worker is badly hurt or you think they will get badly hurt, you must report serious domestic violence to the police. Call 131 444. This is called mandatory reporting.
Workers who are victims of domestic violence have some special rights to time off and support. See below.

Domestic violence is happening to someone I know – what do I need to do?

You must report serious domestic violence to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444. This is called mandatory reporting.

What happens to my gun licence if a DVO is made against me?

If a final DVO is made against you by a judge, your gun licence will be cancelled for the time the DVO is in place and for five years after the DVO finishes.

The Police made a DVO against me, what can I do?

Police can make a temporary DVO, but they must ask a judge in court to make the final DVO. Go to court and talk to the judge if you do not agree with the rules the police made in the temporary DVO.

What happens if I don’t follow the rules in a DVO?

It is against the law to break the rules of a DVO.

Someone is being violent and abusive to me, but I am not in a domestic relationship with them. What can I do?

You can ask (apply) to the Local Court for a personal violence restraining order. You can ask a lawyer to help you.

I am experiencing domestic violence and have no money.

You might be able to get a crisis payment from Centrelink.

Explain to Centrelink why you need extra money.

I have experienced domestic violence and need some time off work. Can I get some time off?

Some workplaces have domestic violence leave. You might be able to take domestic violence leave.

If you need to take time off work you can also talk to a doctor and ask for a medical certificate.

I have to leave my house because of violence. What can I do?

First you need to go to a safe place.
If you rent a house and it is not safe for you to go back, you may be able to end your lease early.
Free services can help you find a place to stay and end your lease.

Ask a lawyer to help you.

I rent a place and it got damaged because of DV. What can I do?

When there is damage to a place you rent because of domestic violence, you may not need to pay to fix it.
Report the damage to your landlord or agent as soon as possible.
If someone tries to make you pay for the damage see a lawyer.

I share a house with a person being violent. What can I do?

If you need help, call the Police on 131 444. In an emergency, call 000.

A judge can make a DVO rule to tell a violent person to leave the house.
This is called a vacate order. Call the Legal Aid helpline for more information.

When there is domestic violence, a judge can end a lease, change a lease or make a new lease.

How can a DVO protect my kids?

Children can also be protected by the rules in a DVO.
Children can be included as a protected person.
The DVO can have rules to tell a person not to do things in front of the children, like swear or be violent.

I am protected by a DVO. How can I change the DVO?

Only a judge can change the rules in a DVO.
You must go to court to change the DVO.
It is good to get help from a lawyer in court.

How do I get a DVO?

There are two ways to get a DVO in the NT.
1. Talk to the police. The police can make a temporary DVO without going to court. Later, they will ask a judge in a court to decide about the final DVO.
2. A person can go to court and ask the Judge to make a DVO. There are rules about how to do this. You can get advice and maybe a lawyer to help you.

What are the different kinds of DVOs?

There are many different types of DVOs. Three common kinds of DVO are:
● Full non-contact (stay away)
● Non-intoxication (non-drinking)
● Non-violence (no harm)

What is a domestic violence order (DVO)?

A DVO is an order made by the judge in court to stop a person (the defendant) doing things that hurt another person (the protected person).
This is usually a relative or close person.
The police can quickly make a temporary domestic violence order (DVO).
Later, police will go to court and a judge will decide if the DVO keeps going.

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence is where one person in a domestic relationship does things to hurt or control the other person in the relationship.

I am a victim of domestic violence. What can I do?

If you are hurt or someone is trying to hurt you, call NT Police on 000. If you are ready to leave your house, go somewhere that you feel safe. Talk to the police or get legal advice about applying for a domestic violence order.

Skip to content