If it is the first time police catch you drink driving you might get a fine.
If it is not your first time drink driving, or if police think that what you did is serious, you will go to court and the judge will decide what will happen to you.

The judge decides the punishment for people who go to court for drink driving. The judge will think about:

  • How much alcohol was in in your body (for example 0.08% blood alcohol)
  • How many times you were in trouble already for drink driving

Most people who go to court for drink driving lose their drivers licence for 6 months to 2 years. sometimes even longer. The judge can send a person to jail for serious (bad) drink driving crimes.

Text based resources about this topic


Drink driving: Pleading guilty?

This is a guide to representing yourself when you are pleading guilty at the local court for drink driving.

Law Handbook – Drink and Drug Driving Standards

Handbook explaining the laws of drink and drug driving.

Alcohol, Drugs and Driving

Motor Vehicle Registry factsheet.

Drink Driving Penalties

Motor Vehicle Registry factsheet.

Glossary: What these words mean

blood alcohol

This is a number that measures how much alcohol is in your blood. Police use this number to decide if someone is drink driving. The law allows you to drive when this number is less than 0.05%.

drink driving

Driving a car after drinking too much alcohol. The law says if you have more than a certain amount of alcohol in your blood (more than 0.05%), you are not allowed to drive.

Drink driving is also called DUI (driving under the influence).




A licence lets you do something that other people without a licence can’t do. For example, a driver licence is a card or paper from the government that says you can drive. It says the kind of car, motorbike or truck that you can drive. You can use the licence until the expiry date. After the expiry date you need to renew it.

A gun licence (also called a firearm licence) is a card or paper from the Government that says you can use a gun. It says the kind of gun you can use and where you can use it.



This website gives general legal information. It is not legal advice. If you need advice for your problem, please talk to a lawyer.

Click here to find a legal service near you.

If there is information on this website that you think is wrong please contact us.

This website is a project of the NT Community Legal Education Network.
logo-ppt It has been developed with the generous support of the Law Society Public Purposes Trust.