Your landlord must give you back your bond by 7 business days after your lease ends.
If they want to keep some or all of your bond they must tell you by 7 business days after your lease ends.
If you don't agree about how much bond you should get back, get legal advice from a lawyer.

If you don’t know if you have a bond that you should get back, check this website run by NT Consumer Affairs.

  • If your landlord wants to keep some or all of your bond money, they must tell you in a written notice:
    • how much bond money they will keep
    • the reason why.
  • The landlord can only keep your bond if
    • You haven’t paid rent
    • Parts of the house are damaged
    • The house needs to be cleaned
    • To pay electricity or gas bills.
  • If the landlord is keeping the bond for cleaning, bills or damage they must
  • If you don’t agree about how much money the landlord can keep, you can:

Text based resources about this topic


Condition Reports

This factsheet tells you about condition reports.

Security Deposits (Bonds)

This factsheet tells you about your bond.

Watch videos about this topic


What’s the law? – Renting

This short video tells you what to do when you first move into a house, and what you can do if your landlord does not want to give your bond money back.


Glossary: What these words mean

Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT)

The Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT) is a special kind of court that helps people quickly solve problems that might take a long time in other courts. It tries to be low-cost, easy, quick, and informal; to use plain language; and to help people with special needs. It helps with problems like disputes between tenants and landlords, and other kinds of problems.

statutory declaration

A statutory declaration is a form that you use to write down what has happened. You have to sign it in front of someone to say that you believe it’s true. Only people in certain jobs can sign your statutory declaration.


The person or company who owns the place that you pay rent to live in.


Money your landlord asks you to pay when you first move into the house. This is different to rent money. The bond is a type of protection for the landlord. The landlord can use this money to fix anything you break or damage, or if you don’t pay your rent.

Your landlord can’t ask you to pay more than four weeks rent for the bond payment.

This website gives general legal information. It is not legal advice. If you need advice for your problem, please talk to a lawyer.

Click here to find a legal service near you.

If there is information on this website that you think is wrong please contact us.

This website is a project of the NT Community Legal Education Network.
logo-ppt It has been developed with the generous support of the Law Society Public Purposes Trust.