It is always best to talk with your ex-partner and agree together about your children.

Sometimes you cannot agree with your ex-partner about your children.

Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) can help people talk about family problems and work out what to do. In FDR you will talk about options for you and your ex-partner, and find answers that are best for you.

You can use FDR to make a parenting plan about your kids. When you agree, you can get agreement registered as court orders.  In FDR everyone has a say about what should happen.

Text based resources about this topic


Arrangements for children
Divorce and living arrangements (family law)

This web page has information for young people about separation, divorce and living arrangements (family law). 

Family Law Guide – Children

This page talks about making decisions about your children when you separate.

NT Law handbook – Parenting After Separation: Common Conflicts Over Parenting Arrangements

This website talks about parenting agreements.


Northern Territory Law handbook – Parenting After the Separation: Agreeing About the Children

This website is about agreeing about the children when you separate.


Glossary: What these words mean

parenting plan

A parenting plan is an agreement that separated parents make about how their children will be cared for and supported.

family dispute resolution (FDR)

When two people are separating, family dispute resolution (FDR) can help them decide what happens with children, property and money. It is cheaper than going to court.

This website gives general legal information. It is not legal advice. If you need advice for your problem, please talk to a lawyer.

Click here to find a legal service near you.

If there is information on this website that you think is wrong please contact us.

This website is a project of the NT Community Legal Education Network.
logo-ppt It has been developed with the generous support of the Law Society Public Purposes Trust.