You can ask the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) to register a car.
You are not allowed to drive an unregistered car on a public road.

To register a car/motorbike/truck, the car must be roadworthy. Roadworthy means the car is safe to drive by law.

You may need to take the car to a mechanic to check if it is roadworthy.

You must go to the MVR and ask them to register the car.

You must pay money (registration fees) to MVR to register a car/motorbike/truck.

If your car has no licence plates, you get them from the MVR when you register the car.


Who Can Help? (Service Providers)

logo-helpline-1.png Helpline
Text based resources about this topic


Vehicle Standards

Motor Vehicle Registry factsheet.

Vehicle Inspectors

Motor vehicle registry factsheet.

Register your vehicle for the first time


This website gives general legal information. It is not legal advice. If you need advice for your problem, please talk to a lawyer.

Click here to find a legal service near you.

If there is information on this website that you think is wrong please contact us.

This website is a project of the NT Community Legal Education Network.
logo-ppt It has been developed with the generous support of the Law Society Public Purposes Trust.