If you are hurt or someone is trying to hurt you, call NT Police on 000. If you are ready to leave your house, go somewhere that you feel safe. Talk to the police or get legal advice about applying for a domestic violence order.

If you need somewhere safe to stay, there are women’s shelters (safe houses) in different places in the NT. You can find a list here. There are also safe houses in remote communities; You can find a list here.  

A domestic violence order (DVO) can protect you from domestic violence. You can ask a legal service to help you get one.

You don’t have to wait to go to court and ask a judge for a DVO. The police can quickly make a temporary domestic violence order (DVO) without asking a judge. Later, the police will come to court. In court, a judge will decide if the DVO continues. If you want to talk to the judge about the DVO or the rules in the DVO, go to court when police ask the judge to decide about the DVO.

If you report domestic violence to the police, police may also charge the violent person with a crime.

Text based resources about this topic


Domestic and family violence fact sheet (English)

This fact sheet explains what Australian law says about domestic and family violence.

Family safety pack (46 languages)

The family safety pack explains what Australian law says about domestic and family violence, sexual assault, forced and early marriage, and family violence and partner visas. The pack is translated into 46 different language.

Facts about: Domestic violence

This fact sheet has information about domestic violence.

Safety Planning

This booklet explains what a safety plan is and gives information to help you make one.

Northern Territory Domestic and Family Violence Services

This website will help you contact a range of services that can help with issues including domestic and family violence.

Feel unsafe? What to do

This page gives you emergency phone numbers for people you can talk to about domestic violence

What you can do – Domestic Violence

This is a list of things you can do if you are in a relationship with domestic violence.

Watch videos about this topic


A lawyer can help

This video explains what a domestic violence order (DVO) is, how it can help you, and how a lawyer can help you sort things out.


Make a plan – Domestic Violence

This video talks about making a plan to keep safe from domestic violence.


View graphic resources like posters and photos


Domestic and family violence storyboard

This poster shows people what the law in Australia says about domestic and family violence, and how to get help.

Click here to view Domestic and family violence storyboard

Glossary: What these words mean

domestic and family violence

When one person uses violence, threats, force or intimidation to try and control another person in a domestic relationship. Domestic violence includes:

  • what someone says
  • what someone does
  • what someone threatens to do.

Domestic violence can include damaging property, controlling money, or controlling where a person goes and who they see.

temporary domestic violence order (DVO)

If the police think someone isn’t safe they can make a temporary (also called interim) domestic violence order (DVO). For example, the police might make a temporary DVO when someone calls them because there is violence. A temporary DVO only lasts until it is talked about again in court. A judge can also make a temporary DVO. See also Domestic Violence Order (DVO).

domestic violence order (DVO)

A domestic violence order (DVO) is a law-paper from the police or a judge. A DVO has rules to protect people from domestic violence. A DVO can make rules about what a person can do. For example, a no-contact DVO means no going near, calling, texting, or contacting the person protected by the order. A non-intoxication order means no alcohol or drugs.

If someone breaks the rules of a DVO they are doing a crime.

When the police make the DVO it only lasts until a judge talks about it in court. The judge decides if the DVO keeps going and what rules it has.

safe house

A place women and children can stay to be safe from domestic violence.

This website gives general legal information. It is not legal advice. If you need advice for your problem, please talk to a lawyer.

Click here to find a legal service near you.

If there is information on this website that you think is wrong please contact us.

This website is a project of the NT Community Legal Education Network.
logo-ppt It has been developed with the generous support of the Law Society Public Purposes Trust.