First you need to go to a safe place.
If you rent a house and it is not safe for you to go back, you may be able to end your lease early.
Free services can help you find a place to stay and end your lease.

Ask a lawyer to help you.

If you need somewhere safe to stay, there are women’s shelters (safe houses) in different places in the NT. You can find a list here. There are also safe houses in remote communities; You can find a list here.  

Text based resources about this topic


Get help
Safety Planning

This booklet explains what a safety plan is and gives information to help you make one.

Domestic Violence and Tenancy

This factsheet talks about domestic violence and renting.

Northern Territory Law Handbook – Domestic and Family Violence

Northern Territory Law Handbook has a chapter on domestic and family violence.

Domestic Violence Legal Service Brochure

Domestic Violence Legal Service Brochure.

Watch videos about this topic


A lawyer can help

This video explains what a domestic violence order (DVO) is, how it can help you, and how a lawyer can help you sort things out.


Glossary: What these words mean

domestic and family violence

When one person uses violence, threats, force or intimidation to try and control another person in a domestic relationship. Domestic violence includes:

  • what someone says
  • what someone does
  • what someone threatens to do.

Domestic violence can include damaging property, controlling money, or controlling where a person goes and who they see.


The written agreement about the property that you are renting that you make with your landlord or agent. It’s signed by both of you.

A lease is also called a tenancy agreement.

safe house

A place women and children can stay to be safe from domestic violence.


A victim is the person who an offender hurt when the offender broke the law.


This website gives general legal information. It is not legal advice. If you need advice for your problem, please talk to a lawyer.

Click here to find a legal service near you.

If there is information on this website that you think is wrong please contact us.

This website is a project of the NT Community Legal Education Network.
logo-ppt It has been developed with the generous support of the Law Society Public Purposes Trust.