When there is damage to a place you rent because of domestic violence, you may not need to pay to fix it.
Report the damage to your landlord or agent as soon as possible.
If someone tries to make you pay for the damage see a lawyer.

Text based resources about this topic


Repairs of rental house DCLS factsheet

This factsheet talks about repairs and maintenance on rental houses.

Domestic Violence and Tenancy

This factsheet talks about domestic violence and renting.

Repairs of rental house NTCA

This is another fact sheet about repairs and maintenance at your rental house.

Watch videos about this topic


Community Law Stories – Jen’s Broken House Part I


This short video is about what to do when your house needs repairs because you have damaged it.


Glossary: What these words mean


Property is something a person owns. It can include:

  • real estate: family home, investment property or commercial property
  • vehicles: cars, trucks, caravans, boats, trailers and motorbikes
  • money: cash or in bank accounts
  • shares or stocks: in a business or partnership, or a family or public company
  • insurance policies
  • superannuation
  • jewellery
  • furniture and household items
  • debts: mortgages, loans, credit cards and personal debts.
domestic and family violence

When one person uses violence, threats, force or intimidation to try and control another person in a domestic relationship. Domestic violence includes:

  • what someone says
  • what someone does
  • what someone threatens to do.

Domestic violence can include damaging property, controlling money, or controlling where a person goes and who they see.


Damage is injury or harm that makes something less valuable or useful because it needs to be fixed. For example, scratching the paint on the walls of a rental property is damage.


The person or company who owns the place that you pay rent to live in.


Someone who is looking after the house for the landlord and collecting rent money.

Skip to content