Search results

About Ombudsman NT – Yolgnu Matha
About Ombudsman NT – Warlpiri
About Ombudsman NT – Pitjantjatjara
About Ombudsman NT – Pintupi-Luritja
About Ombudsman NT – Murrinh Patha
About Ombudsman NT – Eastside Kriol
About Ombudsman NT – Arrarnta
About Ombudsman NT – Alyawarra
Youth Law Australia
Drink driving: Pleading guilty?
What is domestic and family violence?
What are domestic violence orders?
How do domestic violence orders get made?
Can I change, end, or extend the domestic violence order?
Staying safe
What happens if someone breaks a domestic violence order?
Do you have a domestic violence order against you?
Get help
Online safety
Arrangements for children
What types of things can a domestic violence order stop?
What happens to a person’s visa if there’s domestic and family violence?
What is superannuation? (Mongolian)
Online scams
Purchasing a mobile phone
Owning a mobile phone
Domestic violence
Dealing with debt
Divorce and living arrangements (family law)
My rights with the police
Criminal law
Property damage
Buying a car
Story: Police interviews (Yolngu Matha)
Story: Sentencing (Yolngu Matha)
Story: Getting a case to court (Yolngu Matha)
Story: Offence and police investigation (Yolngu Matha)
Breach (Yolngu Matha)
Protected person (Yolngu Matha)
Defendant (Yolngu Matha)
Perpetrator (Yolngu Matha)
Aggravated (Yolngu Matha)
Assault (Yolngu Matha)
Affirmation (Yolngu Matha)
Swear (Yolngu Matha)
Witness statement (Yolngu Matha)
Witness (Yolngu Matha)
Right to silence (Yolngu Matha)
Arrest (Yolngu Matha)
Plea of not guilty (Yolngu Matha)
Plea of guilty (Yolngu Matha)
Not guilty (Yolngu Matha)
Innocent (Yolngu Matha)
Guilty (Yolngu Matha)
Suspended sentence (Yolngu Matha)
Community work order (Yolngu Matha)
Character reference (Yolngu Matha)
Good behaviour bond (Yolngu Matha)
Imprisonment (Yolngu Matha)
Sentence (Yolngu Matha)
Jury (Yolngu Matha)
Trial (Yolngu Matha)
Hearing (Yolngu Matha)
Adjournment (Yolngu Matha)
Adjourn (Yolngu Matha)
Mention (Yolngu Matha)
File (Yolngu Matha)
Court orderly (Yolgnu Matha)
Client (Yolngu Matha)
Victim (Yolngu Matha)
Police prosecutor (Yolngu Matha)
Prosecutor (Yolngu Matha)
Judge (Yolngu Matha)
Warrant (Yolngu Matha)
Defence lawyer (Yolngu Matha)
Lawyer (Yolngu Matha)
Juvenile (Yolngu Matha)
Bail conditions (Yolngu Matha)
Crime (Yolngu Matha)
Bail (Yolngu Matha)
Charge (Yolngu Matha)
Police (Yolngu Matha)
Avoid a funeral RIP-off (fact sheet)
Avoid a funeral RIP-off
Buying a car – Take a minute with your money
Our Right to Safety
Our Right to Safety and Respect
Dealing with family pressure about money
Sorting out your money problems
One Million Dollars
The Cut Off
Family safety pack (46 languages)
Family violence and partner visas fact sheet (English)
Forced and early marriage fact sheet (English)
Domestic and family violence fact sheet (English)
Domestic and family violence storyboard
What’s the law? Family law
Family dispute resolution at the NT Legal Aid Commission
Family dispute resolution at the Family Relationship Centre
Advice about your visa if you’ve been hurt or harmed by your partner
DV Work Aware for LGBTIQA+ employees
Information for women from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
Information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employees
Information for employees affected by domestic and family violence
Domestic and family violence: How to report
Facts about: Domestic violence
Do I have to report domestic violence?
Your rights when you buy something (ReadSpeaker)
Your rights when you buy something (Arabic)
Your rights when you buy something (Vietnamese)
Your rights when you buy something (Tagalog)
Your rights when you buy something (Spanish)
Your rights when you buy something (Italian)
Your rights when you buy something (Hindi)
Your rights when you buy something (Greek)
Your rights when you buy something (Chinese simplified)
Your rights when you buy something
Police caution in Kriol
Resale money message in Western Kriol language
Resale money message in Kriol language
A lawyer can help
How super works (Arrernte)
How can I get my relative’s super after they die?
death certificate
death benefit
Super death benefits
Manage your super: After death
Death benefits
Superannuation Complaints Tribunal (SCT)
When can I get my super?
preservation age
What to do when you can not go to court
What to do when you miss court
Early access to your super
Lifecycle of a complaint
Superannuation scams
Access superannuation
Online complaint – Superannuation Complaints Tribunal
Super and pension age calculator
Retiring: Accessing your super
Accessing your super
How much super do I have? Where is it?
What goes into your super?
Superannuation for under 25s
ASIC’s Indigenous Help Line – 1300 365 957
Superannuation – MoneySmart AU
Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
super company
Finding lost and unclaimed super
Don’t leave your money behind
Too many super accounts?
Young people and superannuation
Get to know your super
Manage your super: New to Australia
Why is super important to you?
Keeping track of your super
Unit 1: What is superannuation?
What is superannuation?
What is superannuation (super)?
super fund
Super Guru: What is super?
Super and us mob
SBS settlement guide: What to do when you get a fine and how to fight it
SBS settlement guide: Avoid falling victim to online fraudsters
SBS settlement guide:What are your consumer rights in Australia?
SBS settlement guide: Divorce in Australia
10 facts on superannuation
SBS settlement guide: What is superannuation?
SBS settlement guide: How to access help for domestic violence
REALS (Respondent Early Assistance Legal Service)
Bring back the boom box (Yolgnu Matha)
I’m worried my kids aren’t safe to use their phones or computers, what do I do?
privacy settings
location services
I think someone is bullying me on my phone or social media. What should I do?
instant messaging
checking in
social media
technology abuse
eSafety Women: Bella’s story
eSafety Women: Keeping children safe
SmartSafe: Technology Safety Planning & Privacy Tips
eSafety Women: Being social
SmartSafe: Smartphones, social media and other technology
eSafety Women: Alicia’s story
Report a Cybercrime
eSafety Women: Take Control
eSafety Women: eSafety checklist
Police Caution in NT Aboriginal Languages
Consumer leases (Mandarin)
Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
Rent to buy
What is financial counselling?
Smart shopping with Casey and Reece
Get smarter with your data
Scamwatch: Where to get help
How to Complain: Resolving problems with financial products and services
Safety Planning
full licence
How to make a complaint that gets heard
Phone-paku problem ngaranyi?
Dalipunbuy warwu nhuŋ u?
Problem Phone Kurlu?
Phone problems? (Arrernte)
Yoo gud broblum wid yor foan?
Phone problems?
Do you have a problem with your telephone or internet provider?
Artists in the Black
Good art, good deal
Too good to be true
What’s the Law? – Police (Film)
Cop This (Booklet)
Cop This (Film)
Avoid a funeral ripoff factsheet
Do Not Knock film (Yolngu Matha)
Do Not Knock film (English)
connect With Respect
Your rights when you buy something (Audio PDF)
It’s OK to walk away poster
Do Not Knock Sign
Money Smart
ACCC – Your Rights Mob – Indigenous Consumers
Money Talks
Murrinhpatha — English Legal Glossary: Difficult words that come from non-Aboriginal law
Applying for a DVO – 1800 Respect
Domestic Violence Orders – NT.GOV.AU
Law for You – Dari
Law for You – Persian
Law for You – Vietnamese
Law for You – Hindi
Law for You – Chinese
Law for You – Nepali
Law for You – Burmese
Law for You – Swahili
Law for You – Arabic
Going to NT youth justice court
Visiting someone in prison
Department of Housing – Factsheet
Non-violence DVO
Full non-contact DVO poster
What is Domestic and Family Violence (Audio in many languages)
Domestic Violence – CAALAS Night Patrol (Warlpiri)
Domestic Violence – CAALAS Night Patrol (Eastern Arrerrnte)
Domestic Violence – CAALAS Night Patrol (PITJANTJATJARA)
Northern Territory Domestic and Family Violence Services
Find a Financial Counsellor
Debt Self Help
Got a fine?
Phone Hunters Yolngu Matha Version
Learn how to spot phishing and spam email
Department of Human Services phishing email scam
Recognise scam or hoax emails and websites
Renting in Community
Stevie’s Scam School: Romance Scam
Georgina’s Facebook fiancé leaves her flat broke
Thanks but no thanks:pressure
unsolicited consumer agreements
Unsolicited Consumer Agreement
cooling-off period
Complaint? help from the TIO infosheet
What is the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman?
Resolve a Consumer Rights problems – Quiz
Indigenous consumer rights
Returning Goods
My Consumer Rights – Shopping Refunds
Faulty Fashion? Use your Rights
How to return an ebay item for a refund
My Consumer Rights – Guarantees and Warranties
parental responsibility
Plain English Legal Dictionary
Parenting Arrangements – Frequently Asked Questions
parenting plan
Moving beyond family conflict – A guide to family dispute resolution
community work
domestic and family violence
end date
Personal violence restraining order (PVRO)
Local Court
business day
mandatory reporting
crisis payment
medical certificate
criminal offence
vacate order
child protection
criminal record
Family Tax Benefit (FTB)
protected person
family dispute resolution (FDR)
domestic relationship
safe house
Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT)
small claim
letter of demand
duty lawyer
drug driving
breath test
blood alcohol
Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN)
drink driving
Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO)
Northern Territory Consumer Affairs
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)
NT Legal Aid
customs fees
Australian Consumer Law
unsolicited consumer agreement
statutory declaration
I signed a contract and I don’t read English well. I don’t know what I signed for. What can I do?
I borrowed money to buy my car, but I can’t pay the loan back. What can I do?
Centrelink says that I owe them money.
Someone is chasing me for money I owe. I can’t pay it. What can I do?
I have a fine that I can’t pay all at once. What are my options?
I got an email saying I won the lotto. I put money in the account, like they asked, but I haven’t got my money. What can I do?
I just found out that someone took money out of my account, but it wasn’t me. What do I do?
I got an email from my bank/Centrelink asking for my bank details? Should I give them out?
Someone I met online asked to borrow some money from me, but they won’t pay it back.
condition report
Domestic Violence – CAALAS Night Patrol
What’s the Law – Family Violence
Support a Friend
Report Domestic and Family Violence
Domestic Violence Orders. Information for Defendants.
Domestic Violence Orders. Information for Defendants
Personal Violence Order
Victims of Crimes – Compensation
Shelter Me NT – Emergency Relief Services
Centrelink Crisis payment
Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and the Workplace
Family Violence and your Visa
Repairs of rental house DCLS factsheet
Domestic Violence Orders – Information for People in need of Protection
Domestic Violence and Tenancy
I got a Facebook message from a friend asking for money to get a new passport
I got ripped off by someone. What can I do?
I’m an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander artist. Someone wants to buy my art. How do I know if it is a good deal?
I get lots of phone calls from businesses and charities asking for money or to sell me something. Can I make it stop?
I am renting something but I think I am spending too much money.
What do I need to know if I am buying something secondhand?
People keep knocking on my door to sell me things. How can I make them stop?
Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and the Workplace
consumer guarantees
private seller
safety plan
Someone hassled me to buy/sign something I don’t want. What can I do?
I signed a phone or internet contract, but I don’t get phone or internet service in my area. Do I have to pay their bills?
I bought something online but it wasn’t what I expected. Can I get my money back?
I bought something from overseas, but it did not come yet. What can I do?
I bought something but it doesn’t work. What do I do?
Domestic violence is happening to one of my workers. What do I do?
Domestic violence is happening to someone I know – what do I need to do?
What happens to my gun licence if a DVO is made against me?
The Police made a DVO against me, what can I do?
What happens if I don’t follow the rules in a DVO?
Someone is being violent and abusive to me, but I am not in a domestic relationship with them. What can I do?
I am experiencing domestic violence and have no money.
I have experienced domestic violence and need some time off work. Can I get some time off?
I am on a visa and my partner is violent. What can I do?
I rent a place and it got damaged because of DV. What can I do?
I share a house with a person being violent. What can I do?
How can a DVO protect my kids?
I am protected by a DVO. How can I change the DVO?
How do I get a DVO?
What are the different kinds of DVOs?
What is a domestic violence order (DVO)?
What is domestic violence?
I am a victim of domestic violence. What can I do?
I have to leave my house because of violence. What can I do?
I do not agree with a decision of Department of Housing – what can I do?
I have a problem with the service delivery of the Department of Housing – what can I do?
Can the Department of Housing make me change houses?
I want to end my lease. How can I do that?
When can my landlord evict me (get me to move out)?
My landlord or agent won’t give back my bond. What do I do?
Something is broken in my house. Who should fix it?
Can my landlord or agent come to my house without telling me?
Centrelink said I have to get Child Support from the mother/father or they will stop my money. Can they do this?
How do I get a divorce?
I am a Grandparent looking after my grandchild. What are my rights?
I want custody of my children
How do I work out arrangements for my kids after separation?
What happens to my children if we separate?
My partner and I are separating. What do I need to know?
I’m having relationship problems. Where can I go for help?
I have to go to court as a witness.
Someone asked me to write a letter for their court case. What do I write?
How can I help my relative or friend in jail?
My friend / family member got taken away by police. How can I contact them?
Should I say I am guilty or not guilty?
How long will court take?
What will happen in court?
I have a warrant what do I do?
I missed my court date – what do I do?
Do I need a lawyer to go to court?
I am under 18 and I am going to court. What do I do?
I am going to court. What do I do?
How do I find out when I have to go to court?
The police charged me. What do I do?
I had a car accident and the other driver wants me to pay to fix their car. What do I do?
Another driver’s car hit me. It was their fault. How do I get them to fix my car?
I don’t have car insurance and just had an accident. What do I do?
I had a car accident. What do I do?
I got caught driving an unregistered car.
I got caught drug driving. What happens now?
I got caught drink driving. What happens now?
How do I register my car?
How can I get a driver licence?
The police caught me driving with a disqualified licence. What can I do?
Warning Signs
Relationship Checklist
AVOs and Family Violence
Domestic Violence Orders – Information for people in Need of Protection
What is domestic and family violence?
Stevie’s Scam School: Rebate scam
Make a plan – Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence support
Stevie’s Scam School: Lottery scam
Feel unsafe? What to do
Phone Hunters English Version
Avoiding Phone and Internet Scams
What you can do – Domestic Violence
Where to get help
Protect yourself from scams
The Indulkana Tigers Get Schooled on Contracts: Arts Law’s Artists in the Black Service
Contracts: Learn about contracts in Yolngu Matha
Contracts – Learn about contracts in West Kriol
Contracts – Learn about contracts in Warlpiri
Contracts – Learn about contracts in Tiwi
Contracts – Learn about contracts in Pitjantjatjara
Contracts – Learn about contracts in Kriol
Contracts – Learn about contracts in Arrernte
Artists in the Black Artist’s Rights Video Series
Welfare Rights (Centrelink)
Dealing with debt collectors
Urgent help with money
Indigneous Art Code
Artists in the Black
Lottery Scam
Lotto scam
Protect Yourself from Charity Scams
Do Not Call Register: Information for the Public
Unauthorised Transactions
What is the Do Not Call Register
Furniture Schemes
Fake email – Rebate scam
Renting things for your home: how consumer leases work
Spam Emails
Fake goverment agency scam
Centrelink Email Scam
Renting Appliances
Rent-to-own consumer leases
Fake goverment scams
Leasing or Renting Goods
Scam emails and websites
Fake email scams
Second-hand Cot Saftey
6 Common Scams
Shopping Laws
Relationship scams
QLD: Second-hand doesn’t have to mean second-rate safety
Online Dating Scam – Ben’s Story
Second Hand Items- Refunds
Buying froma Private Seller Online
Online Dating Scams
Markets and Pawnbrokers
Thanks, but no thanks: Cool Off
Romance Scam
Thanks, but no thanks: Pressure
Sending Money Online Story
Thanks but no thanks: Inducement
Door to Door Sales
Charities, Religious Callers, Market Researchers and the Do Not Knock Sticker
Dating & Romance Scams
Get the Sticker
Facebook Scams – Yolngu Matha
Facebook Scams – English
Avoiding Sales Pressure
Types of scams
Travelling Con Men
Common Facebook Scams
Contracts and Agreements
Consumer Affairs Victoria – Unsolicted Consumer Agreements
Know your rights when you’re doorknocked
NT Law Handbook – Parenting after Separation: Child Support
Child Support
Family Tax Benefit
NT Law Handbook – Couples Who are Married: Divorce
Consumer Agreements
How do I apply for a Divorce
Avoiding sales pressure
Caring for Children when you are not their Parent
Rules for door-to-door salespeople
Grandparent Carers: Legal and Financial Support
Cancellation notice – Consumer Agreements
Caring for Children when you are not their Parent
Having a Grandchild in your Care
Consumer Rights – Phone Contracts
Legal issues for Older People – Are you a Grandparent?
Northern Territory Law Handbook – Parenting After Separation: Parental Responsibility
Mobile phone contracts
Out of credit
Questions to ask before signing a phone contract
Family Law and Children
Phone and Internet Complaints
NT Law handbook – Parenting After Separation: Common Conflicts Over Parenting Arrangements
Northern Territory Law handbook – Parenting After the Separation: Agreeing About the Children
temporary domestic violence order (DVO)
Moving Beyond Family Conflict
domestic violence order (DVO)
How do we Separate?
Communication Skills
What are family and relationship problems?
How the Ombudsman can help with complaints
Family and Relationship Problems
Internet shopping explained
Northern Territory Law Handbook – Domestic and Family Violence
False Advertising
Shopping Laws
Buying from a private seller online
Domestic Violence Legal Service Brochure
Ebay – My purchase hasn’t arrived
Appeals Policy
Entitlement Policy
Online Shopping
Fake Customs Email
ACCC – Shopping Online
Termination of Tenancy by Tenant
ACCC – Resolve a Problem Quiz
Termination of Tenancy by Landlord
Your Shopping Rights
Condition Reports
Indigenous consumer rights
Returning Goods
Security Deposits (Bonds)
Shopping Refunds
Community Law Stories – Jen’s Broken House Part II
Faulty Fashion? Use your rights
Community Law Stories – Jen’s Broken House Part I
Condition Reports
Tenancy Disputes in the NTCAT
What’s the law? – Renting
Repairs of rental house NTCA
Northern Territory Law handbook – Renting
Resolving common renting problems
landlord access and privacy factsheet
Witness Assistance Service Contact Details
Going to Court as a Witness
Guide to character reference writing
How to return an eBay item for a refund
You understand, don’t you? (Yolngu Matha)
Guarantees and Warranties
My Shopping Rights
You understand, don’t you? (Pintupi-Luritja) – Court role play
Consumer Rights – 6 Simple Rules
Worried about Warrants
Youth Justice Court
What’s the law – the Australian Legal System
Going to Court
Daily Court Lists
What to do if you receive a letter of demand.
NAAJA (North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency) – Alice Springs
Letters of Demand
NAAJA (North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency) – Tennant Creek
What’s the Law – Car Accidents
NT Legal Aid Commission – Alice Springs
NT Legal Aid Commission – Tennant Creek
Reporting a crash
What to do after a car accident
Penalties for Breaking Driving Laws
Cannabis and Driving
Drug Driving Penalties
Law Handbook – Drink and Drug Driving Standards
Alcohol, Drugs and Driving
Drink Driving Penalties
Vehicle Standards
Vehicle Inspectors
About licences
Register your vehicle for the first time
Licences Factsheet
Licence Suspension and Disqualification Factsheet
What’s the Law? Driving Rules
NT Road Users’ Handbook
Licence Classes Factsheet
LawStuff Licences
Poster Sample
QIFVLS (Queensland Indigenous Family Violence Legal Service)
TEWLS (Top End Women’s Legal Service)
NT Legal Aid Commission – Palmerston
NT Legal Aid Commission – Katherine
NT Legal Aid Commission – Darwin
NAAJA (North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency) – Darwin
NT Working Women’s Centre – Darwin
NAAFLS (North Australian Aboriginal Family Legal Service) – Katherine
NT Working Women’s Centre – Alice Springs
NAAFLS (North Australian Aboriginal Family Legal Service) – Darwin
Legal Aid Western Australia
KWILS (Katherine Women’s Information & Legal Service)
Legal Aid Queensland
NAAJA (North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency) – Katherine
DVLS (Domestic Violence Legal Service)
KCLS (Kimberley Community Legal Service)
DCLS (Darwin Community Legal Service)
CAAFLU (Central Australian Aboriginal Family Legal Unit) – Tennant Creek
CAAFLU (Central Australian Aboriginal Family Legal Unit) – Alice Springs
ATSILS (Aborginal & Torres Strait Islander Legal Services Queensland)
ALSWA (Aboriginal Legal Service of Western Australia)
ALRM (Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement)
AFLS (Aboriginal Family Law Services) – Western Australia
Western Queensland Justice Network
Dawn House
About Community Legal Education
Can I drive if I don’t have a licence?
Road User’s Handbook
Licence classes and conditions
Lawstuff – Licenses
What’s the Law – Driving Rules
CAWLS (Central Australian Women’s Legal Service)
MVR – Licence classes and conditions

Skip to content